God gave us the cogent example of the Pharisee in the Gospels to demonstrate how human wisdom and human interpretation of God’s word leads to spiritual blindness. The Pharisees were experts in the letter of the law but they did not have a clue about the significance of Christ – whose identity originates in the Old Testament to prophets like Moses, who wrote the Torah.
Consider the lesson contained in the reaction Christ demonstrates towards the Pharisees.
If you too are so focused on keeping your outside clean for others to think you have it all together, yet you continue to neglect God’s goodness to your spirit, through his love, forgiveness, grace and mercy at Calvary, then, like the Pharisees, you too are guilty of hypocrisy.
Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites! You give a tenth of mint, dill, and cumin, yet you neglect what is more important in the law — justice, mercy, and faithfulness! You should have done these things without neglecting the others. 23:24 Blind guides! You strain out a gnat yet swallow a camel! 23:25 "Woe to you, experts in the law and you Pharisees, hypocrites!You clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 23:26 Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup, so that the outside may become clean too! (NET Bible)
- John 9. Jesus heals a man born blind (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- Book Review : Accidental Pharisees (stevenruff.wordpress.com)
- Matthew 23. Jesus Warns Against The Teachers Of The Law And The Pharisees (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- No Turning Back (mycampuschurch.info)
- the poison of self-love… (thehandmaid.wordpress.com)
- Matthew 23:26 (the1savedbygrace.com)
- 2) Seven (roadsignstohim.com)