Marvin Gaye penned the lyrics to this song title during a time of social unrest in this country as the 70’s began. I was a little boy learning life in a community where everyone knew everybody and everything about everybody. Never did we imagine a tragic moment where gunmen would heartlessly spill gunfire into a school classroom as children are learning. Yet today this is our reality. The question still resonates today but the need for a Savior resonates all the more.
It is shameful to see how our country is continuing to realize the devastating results of the legitimacy associated with the rights to bear arms. Everyone knows the dangers we face – adults and children alike – in this nation because of the loose regulations regarding gun control. The fact that we as a nation continue to mourn the loss of life secondary to gun violence in public establishments screams out for immediate attention of law makers and enforcers to raise up and initiate protective measures for us all.
In the meantime these lyrics are a source of comfort as the tragedy pierces our hearts:
In times like these you need a Savior In times like these you need an anchor; Be very sure, be very sure Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! In times like these you need the Bible, In times like these O be not idle; Be very sure, be very sure Your anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock! In times like these I have a Savior, In times like these I have an anchor; I'm very sure, I'm very sure My anchor holds and grips the Solid Rock!
- Commentary: Gun debate misses the point in Belcher case (kansascity.com)
- MSNBC launches the gun control conversation (politico.com)
- Lisa Belkin: Gun Control Is A Parenting Issue (huffingtonpost.com)
- CNN Anchor Piers Morgan Calls For Increased Gun Control and Said The 2nd Amendment Was Outdated (marketdailynews.com)
- Activists rallying at the White House to push Obama to seek tougher stance on gun control (dailykos.com)
- The Right Day to Talk About Guns (newyorker.com)
- Lawsuit Filed to Curb Internet Gun Sales (hispanicbusiness.com)
- How Will NRA Explain Away Gun Shooting At Elementary School In Newtown, Connecticut? (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Bob Costas Was Right About Gun Control (newser.com)